Supreme Air Duct Cleaning


Supreme Air Duct Cleaning BBB Business Review

Keeping Your Air Fresh without Candles 

Homeowners enjoy using scented candles to set a romantic, relaxing or enjoyable mood. These candles can release harmful chemicals into the air. Most candles contain paraffin wax, which is an oil by-product that can cause allergies, cancer and asthma. Try using beeswax candles or soy wax with non-tin wicks. Consider air duct cleaning in Ankeny if you burn candles year-round.

Candles are dangerous fire hazards. Fires started by candles each year cause 677 serious injuries, 81 death, and property damages of $278 million. From 2014-2018 US fire departments responded to 7610 fires in homes that were started by candles. It only takes a few seconds of negligence for a lit candle to become a life-threatening incident.

It’s not necessary to burn candles in order to create a pleasant odor. Regular air filter cleaning can improve airflow. Your air ducts should be cleaned and inspected if you are having issues and if you have no knowledge of the service being done previously. Mold, dust, and other debris may accumulate in your air ducts over time. Supreme Air Duct Cleaning Ankeny IA offers the best professional service for duct cleaning Ankeny. Contact us for a free estimate. 

  1. Sootsoot

Candle soot is likely to be the cause of dark spots on walls, light colored fabrics, and furniture in your house. All candles, no matter what material they are made of, produce soot. As a candle is burning, black particles of soot are released into the air. They are so small that they can be inhaled, causing coughing or wheezing.

Over time, soot can also accumulate on surfaces. This will give them a gray or dull appearance. Also, they can clog filters and vents causing a fire risk. The accumulation of soot can reduce the efficiency and lifespan of your HVAC unit. Supreme Air Duct Cleaning in Ankeny will help remove soot from your home.

There is a misconception that certain candles do not produce soot. This is simply untrue. Burning candles produces soot, and can also produce other pollutants. It is important to consider the type of wax used and the wick. Paraffin candles produce more soot than vegetable or beeswax.

VOCs are volatile organic compounds, which is what we call the toxins that come out of burning candles. The paraffin wax candle releases toluene (a known carcinogen), benzene (also a cancer-causing substance), formaldehyde (also acetone), and phenol. Synthetic perfumes are often phthalates. These chemicals disrupt hormones.

The toxins released when burning scented candles come not only from the flame but also the oil that is inside. According to a study by National library of Medicine, researchers found that certain candles released volatile substances before the flame touched the wick.

Trimming the wick of a new candle before it is lit will reduce its soot content and toxic effects. The candle will burn evenly, and a larger portion of the wick won’t be exposed to flame. Avoid cored wicks that are made of zinc, tin or other metals. They can emit these metals as the candle burns.

  1. Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC)

While burning, paraffin and soy scented candles emit a variety of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) as well as chemicals. They can cause irritation to the nose, mouth, eyes, and mucus tissues. These toxic substances can also be harmful for your respiratory system, just like secondhand smoke and perfumes. You can reduce the amount of harmful chemicals in your home by choosing candles that have a natural scent and trimming the wicks to less than 1/4″. Pure beeswax and soy candles emit much less VOCs than petroleum-based alternatives. Most candlemakers don’t reveal the full list of ingredients used in their products, so it can be hard to find a natural, organic product.

Paint, varnishes, and varnish removers are also sources. So are pesticides, some furnishings and building materials. Reduce your exposure by using low-VOC varnishes, paints, and strippers. Store open containers outside. You can also improve the indoor air by using products that emit VOCs. Open windows, and run exhaust fans.

The chemicals used for disinfecting surfaces and cleaning homes, such as fluoride and bromine, emit VOCs. They can be harmful to the respiratory system, especially if they are inhaled for long periods of time and you already have respiratory conditions such as sinusitis, asthma or bronchitis. Children and animals can be affected by these VOCs. The long-term inhalation of low VOC concentrations can damage the kidneys and liver. The effects are more pronounced for some types of VOCs like benzene toluene formaldehyde.

If you are looking to improve the quality of your indoor air, it is important that you avoid using scented products and other items that emit VOCs. Use organic or natural products as much as possible, and make sure to use ventilation systems that move air around your home. Open windows when you are applying wood cleaners or using household products. After reading this, are you looking for a professional air duct cleaning service in Ankeny? Supreme Air Duct Cleaning in Ankeny can help you improve the air of your home and its ventilation system.

  1. Allergens

Candle_Supreme_AirPeople use candles in their homes to create a cozy, welcoming atmosphere. This is an attractive idea but scented candles may actually cause indoor air pollution, which can be problematic for people with allergies and other sensitive reactions to home chemicals. When burning candles, they release toxic fumes as well as other pollutants. These can cause ventilation systems to become contaminated. For more information on air vent cleaning visit this website.

When paraffin is burned, it releases compounds that are toxic. Benzene toluene limonene are some of the chemicals that can cause cancer or respiratory issues. Paraffin can also release the volatile organic compound acetone or formaldehyde. While the HVAC system in your home redistributes air, these toxic chemicals can contaminate the vents and air-ducts.

The toxins will then spread throughout your home and affect those that are susceptible to them. These toxins can cause allergies, asthma, and other conditions in children. Choose an alternative candle, like beeswax candles or soy candles. They are nontoxic and free from fragrance. These candles are usually more expensive but burn for longer and cause less allergy or respiratory issues. If you want to avoid soy, try organic coconut, or palm oils instead. These are harvested from plantations that do not use pesticides and have a lower impact on the environment. You can also use organic palm and coconut oil instead of soy. They are produced from plantations without pesticides that have lower environmental impact.

Other alternatives include unscented, battery-powered candle that emit a neutral, clean fragrance without contaminating the air. Trim the wick to 1/4″ before lighting the candle and burn it for no longer than 2 hours. Air purifiers, natural air fresheners such as diffusers of essential oils or DIY homemade air fresheners are great for those who have a high sensitivity to scents.

  1. Toxins

Candles that smell great and create a cozy atmosphere are detrimental to the indoor air. Candles that are not scented or decorated release air pollutants as they burn. This can lead to an accumulation of particles in the air which may irritate respiratory systems and cause asthma and allergies. They can also cause a buildup of particulates in your HVAC system’s vents and ductwork. Need an air duct cleaning in Ankeny? Supreme Air Duct Cleaning is here to help.

The chemicals that are released from paraffin wax can be extremely dangerous. Candle wax is made from this petroleum byproduct after it has been bleached and deodorized. Paraffin wax is a source of volatile organic compounds such as acetone, toluene and benzene. The same chemicals are also found in the diesel fuel emission, which have been associated with skin conditions, respiratory diseases and cancer.

To keep the candles upright, most of them have wick cores made from zinc or tin. The burning of these wicks releases heavy metal particles in the air. The metals, although in low levels, can still cause respiratory irritations and illnesses like flu or throat.


It doesn’t matter whether you burn scented candles or unscented ones, both produce soot, which contributes to the accumulation and buildup of dust in vents, ductwork, and other areas of your home HVAC system. You should avoid using paraffin candles. Instead, use beeswax and other alternatives made from plant materials. Always trim your wicks before lighting candles. Never burn them in a glass jar as it limits the airflow and can lead to incomplete combustion. This will also result in more soot. To reduce the amount of toxic chemicals in your indoor environment, you should consider purchasing an air purifier. It’s good to know that more and more companies are producing safe, non-toxic candles. These will enhance the décor of your home and bring back positive memories while not affecting indoor air quality. Call us today for an air vent cleaning in Ankeny. Before & After pictures are provided of the vents. Supreme Air Duct Cleaning is the leading professional service provider for ducts.